Monday, January 27, 2014

Sarah B's Garlic-Ginger Pumpkin Seed Sauce (Dressing) from My New Roots

Last week, I was making this simple meal as part of our detox journey and came across this sauce, that I just have to share with you all!  I wasn't planning to share on this blog anything from this meal and as a results the photos suck... but I do hope that it will not deter you from trying this awesome-sauce recipe! It's finger-lickin' good!

BTW - when my husband first tried this sauce (and he was very skeptical!), he thought it tasted like ranch dressing, ha!  Ridiculous! Luckily, he gave it a second chance and we both agreed in the end it was delicious, especially for how simple, fast, and healthy it is.  

Anyway, here's the recipe I followed: 

Ingredients: 
1 cup of pumpkin seeds (or 150 grams, I measured in cups)
3 cloves of garlic
'knob' of fresh ginger (I struggle with Sarah B's use of knob of whatever, aim for about 2 tablespoons of finely minced ginger for the first time and then adjust accordingly for the next time)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup of water
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (I used coarse, cause that's what I had!)
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper (who measures this stuff? just crack as much as you like to taste in your food processor/blender)

*Note, Sarah B calls for cayenne pepper to taste ad 1 tablespoon of maple syrup in addition to above listed ingredients.  I did not include these in my version.

Directions: 
  1. If you desire a more toasty/rustic flavor, dry roast your pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet until they begin to pop.  Remove and set aside to cool (I did not do this, completely skippable step for a fast week night evening meal).
  2. In a food processor, add the garlic and ginger and pulse until finely chopped.  
  3. Add cooled or untasted pumpkin seeds and blend on high until sand textured (mine actually released a fine dust from the mixture).  
  4. Add remaining ingredients, scraping down the sides periodically.  Add more water (start with 3/4 cup and add more as necessary) to obtain desired consistency. 

This recipe makes a lot of sauce that has remained in good quality in our fridge for a week.  Sarah B recommends 5 days.  I periodically add it to leftover quinoa if I need a quick snack.  

 



1 comment: