Wednesday, January 29, 2014

On my nightstand....

Well, let's see, it's been a while since I've updated what's on my nightstand!  Reading has been a little slow going this year, I've been catching up on many TV shows with our new subscription to amazon. Well, anyway, book club is underway again and as a result, I have updates on what I'm reading :P

Last month I reported that I finished The Son by Phillipp Meyer and you can find the review of this book here.

I also mentioned that I started Curry: A Tale of Cook and Conquerors by Lizzie Collingham.  I'm about half way through and put it down for a couple of reasons.  1) it's just not fair to read a book about food while you're detoxing and trying to cut out various foods (whine!) 2) book club started again (see below) and it seemed like the perfect excuse to set it down.  I still intend to finish it, but it will take longer than originally anticipated.

I recently started The Dinner by Herman Koch, (which I borrowed through my local library in MN, very exciting thing to finally figure out!)... which is completely depressing and such a downer of a book that I'm not at all motivated to read it.  My subscription ends on Jan 31 and I don't think I'll make it.  I'm only 20% of the way through, so I might pick it up later.... to be seen and maybe continued....


February's book club read is the latest book by Sue Monk Kidd, The Invention of Wings.  This is a very recent release, so I was excited to see it nominated and eventually chosen! This is a book set in the early to mid 1800's about a Southern bell and 'her' slave and the relationship that develops between the them.  I'm about 40% of the way through and it's a pretty easy read.  There are passages that are insightful and sometimes meaningful, but I'm often distracted by the Oprah highlighted portions that are included in the digital version of the book I purchased.  Oh well.  So far the book is keeping me interested and I'm always eager to pick it up in the evening or just before bed, but it's not an amazing read... yet.  To be continued... for sure!  


What are you reading?  Any new releases you're anticipating this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment